Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Don't Cry Because It's Over, Smile Because It Happened

My dear friend, Colin, once shared the following words of advice with me: "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." I have found this to be helpful through years of "Hello's" that don't seem to last long enough as well as "Goodbye's" that always come far too soon. I've said goodbye to numerous beloved, familiar faces and places in the past couple of days, and tomorrow begins a brand new hello to some equally unfamiliar faces, not to mention places (try 3 brand new countries!). Up until this point, I've been feeling mostly excited as the commencement of my trip approaches. However, for the first time this evening as I sat in a Starbucks, surrounded by some of my dearest friends from Bethel, laughing and playing cards as we stole a few more hours of precious time together, I was gripped with a sudden sense of panic. Here's a little glimpse into what was running through my head for a few minutes: "Katie, what in the world do you think you're doing? You're leaving behind everything you know and love, all of these wonderful friends encircling you now, and traveling to 3 different countries for a whole semester and will be not merely states, but oceans away from home...are you crazy?!" Thankfully, a sense of calm washed over my spirit as I asked God to grant me peace, and I was reminded that this is where faith comes into play. God's been preparing my heart for this trip in ways both known and unknown to me, and He has an incredible journey waiting for me. I'm so thankful that amidst all the upcoming change, He remains constant. He's bigger than anything I will encounter these next few months, and I have a feeling that when this trip is over, I will have a brand new perspective on just how big He really is.

3 comments:

Matt Carson said...

hey katie! no, i'm not stalking you, sandy has this blog linked on her page (and i'm stalking her). hope you don't mind if i read about your adventures in asia!

i'm really excited for you and i can't wait to see some pictures. i'm very proud of you do be doing this... i wouldn't peg you as a world traveller! have a great time and i hope god speaks to you during your journey.

Sandy said...

He really does stalk, Katie...don't say you weren't warned! As far as I can tell though, he's harmless...

Jessica said...

Katie Cline, I'm so glad that you have peace. I know that God is watching over you and that no matter what happens, what snags come along on the way, or what fun adventures present themselves He is there holding your hand and guiding you along. Have a wonderful adventure Katie, I can't wait to see you when you come home! I love you!